Friday, February 4, 2011

TRANSMITTER/RECEIVER COMPLETE

Well, I have finished sewing these first masks.



I am aware that these photos are pretty disturbing. Though it wasn’t my original intention, I don’t mind the fact that they turned out this way. These masks scare me, but I don’t necessarily think that it’s a bad thing. The mere fact that they are evoking such a reaction is interesting.

Basically what I’m trying to say is that, for this first project, and for a few others to come, I did not/do not have a specific concept in mind. There is no particular interpretation that I am seeking from my audience. I just want to make work that causes the viewer to take pause, that is evocative (I use this word too much, but it perfectly describes what I’m trying to say). These works are ambiguous, for the audience and for myself. I don’t know what they are supposed to be saying. I just want to start a conversation.

I intend to photograph these again over the weekend, to see if I can get exhibit-quality shots. I envision the masks on exhibition being worn by two models, preferably both male, sitting on backless stools, or perhaps sitting on the ground. I see these models wearing tight-fitting, long-sleeved shirts and pants, sitting quietly, turning their heads every so often, perhaps with large-scale photographs hanging behind them.

No comments:

Post a Comment