Thursday, February 17, 2011

Coloring Book Update

I have been working on adjustments to the current coloring book I have made of Penny the Pit Bull. One of the adjustments is I am changing the size of the book, it was originally 8 inches by 6 inches and now it is 10 inches by 7 inches. This will give the images more room, and also I have moved the next to the opposite page of the images of the dog and made the text larger. 

I have also started taking away detail from the dogs. Although I am bummed to do this because I feel like it takes away some of the personality of the drawings, it makes more sense when it comes to a children's coloring book because (as I had learned from the young girl I originally had color the first mock up) the small details won't make sense to a child, and sometimes even be confusing. For example, the young girl I had color the book thought lines on the face were scratches and wounds. Below is the before (left) and after (right).



And also, before (right) and after (left). 


I am also working on two more coloring books simultaneously. One is of Oona who is Tessa's dog and the other book is of my two dogs Ruby and Rusty combined. The difficult part of drawing Oona is her fur is different colors so it's a bit difficult getting it to translate into just a line drawing. With all the drawings though I find myself putting small details into the drawings but then having to pull back and try to keep it simple. 





1 comment:

  1. Great drawings! I think they look much better when simplified.

    Also, I will not stop protesting the absence of cats in these books. Cats are abused too! Cats also have (happy) tails.

    ReplyDelete