Thursday, April 28, 2011



dust jacket

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

So for the show I've decided to have these three banner that are 6ft x 2.5 ft.
I also had the book printed at staples to see how it looks in real life before I send it out to Lulu.

Monday, April 25, 2011

work from the weekend

made all the frames for the 12x 12's. wasn't planning on framing them but decided it would be more cohesive with the larger work that i'll be framing.

these will be cut down into the frames for the 4 18x24's

front view

they are not assembled yet but this is what they will look like from the side. there are three layers of 12x 12's. the back piece is a color and the top two pieces are vellum. there will be 8 of these on the wall (2 rows of 4). 

i'm not sure that i would combine these specific three pieces, but this is an idea of what they will look like with light. i hope to have these far enough off of the wall that they can be light from behind, when the frames are all done i will figure out the lighting.

these three pieces will be on the middle wall that will be painted grey. they will be unframed while the pieces on each wall next to them will be framed with the light pine. i had an idea this weekend to create three more pieces to go on top of these three, to be hung a 1/4 inch away. in these pieces, i will be cutting out the negative space of the piece below it, either leaving each finished piece of two layers to create a rectangle or keep with the organic shape i've been working with. i haven't decided.

Friday, April 22, 2011


I'm having an issue with my process book. For simplicity and overall cohesion, I planned to just have the book include my statement, a chapter about the "characters", the exhibition, and my plans for the future. I don't consider the wet shoots (the masks with cornstarch, black water and vaseline) to be part of the "characters", so if I were to include them in the book, they'd have to be in their own chapter, which, for me, disrupts the flow of the book.

When John described the book to us, I got the impression that it was to serve as a sort of hypothetical proposal, as though we were seeking some type of funding for our projects. My plans for the future only include the "character" masks right now, and a deeper exploration into them alone, so I don't know if my proposal should include the other work as well.

What does everyone think? Would it be a shame not to include that part of the semester's work? Or would it be okay, for the sake of a simpler, more focused book? I guess I could always make a chapter titled "Other Work" or something, and have them included there?

I just am unsure. I feel like I could either make a process book, or a proposal book. Combining the two is proving difficult.

Or maybe I'm over-thinking it, and I should just have a chapter dedicated to all of the work, and the "character" descriptions will just be a part of it?

Thursday, April 21, 2011


more added on from yesterday (not complete yet). there will be three in total, one will go in between these two. 

Under suit painted!

I airbrushed the royal blue under suit navy.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011


Here are the first few preliminary pages of my process book.

I'm having some problems, though, and would like some feedback.

At first, I was thinking I would have two separate books, one with the chapter THE WORK, which would display just the images, as they appear on this blog. This book would have THE STATEMENT, THE WORK and THE EXHIBITION. Then, a second companion book would have THE CHARACTERS and THE FUTURE. The characters would explain the role of each mask. The future would then talk about where this project could go next. 

Now, though, I'm starting to think that I might altogether get rid of THE WORK chapter, since THE CHARACTERS will be showing the work anyway. I suppose in that case, I will add a paragraph to THE STATEMENT that explains the concept of "characters". So then, there would be just one book, which includes THE STATEMENT, THE CHARACTERS, THE EXHIBITION and THE FUTURE.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Start of the Weathering Process

I ran it over with my car, beat it with a cinder block, stomped on it, threw it in puddles, spit on it, and put a cigarette out on it. This is only the beginning!

Colored Logo w/ effect

I'm kinda feeling this one.

sneak peek

wall piece

Monday, April 18, 2011

This weekend I cut out all of my 12x12's ( I think there's 24).  I'm planning on having 2 rows of 4 12x12s, each consisting of 3 sheets of layered paper.

I also have 4 26x38 pieces of a more delicate textured paper that i've started cutting into.  I'm not sure how I want to vary each piece but this is the start to one of them:

I left the 12x12s at home but I plan on doing a photo shoot with those next weekend. 

Photos of Models